Training Project 3: Training Non-Specialist Healthcare and Educational Professionals in the Needs of Persons with TBI and How to Adapt Services
Due to unequal access to brain injury rehabilitation services, many persons with TBI receive rehabilitation services from general healthcare professionals with minimal expertise in TBI and knowledge of the community integration needs of this population. There is a strong need for continued education and training of non-specialist healthcare and educational professionals regarding traumatic brain injury and the needs of persons with TBI.
The purpose of this training project is to provide training and education to non-specialist healthcare and educational professionals in the needs of persons with TBI and how to adapt services to meet the needs of persons with TBI.
The project includes:
- Develop and disseminate an online course for Social Workers.
- Develop and disseminate an online course for Psychologists.
- Develop and disseminate training materials for college educators.
- Develop and disseminate training materials for substance abuse counselors.
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to professionals who participate in the training.
- Advertise online courses and training materials via newsletters and websites of the Brain Injury Association of Michigan, the Alabama Head Injury Foundation, the Brain Injury Association of Florida, and the Brain Injury Association of Texas. The workshops will also be advertised on our Center's website.